I. Choose the correct answer:
1. kalrayan hills is located in eastern ghats.
2. Doddabetta is the highest peak in Tamil Nadu.
3. The river chittar is an important tributary of Tamirabarani river.
4. The longest river flowing in Tamil Nadu is kaveri.
5. The noyyal and amaravathi are tributaries of Kaveri.
II. Match the following:
1. Eastern ghats – shevarayan
2. western ghats – nilgiris
3. Kavari river – karnataka
4. Kodaikanal – queen of hill station
5. Vaigai – Madurai
III. Answer in Brief:
1. Name the important rivers of Tamil Nadu?
The northern rivers of Tamil Nadu are Araniyar, Korattalaiyar, Palar, Vaigai, Vaippar and Tamirabarani in the south are important rivers.
2. What are the major physical divisons of Tamil Nadu?
- The hilly region(western ghats and eastern ghats)
- The plateau
- The plains
- The coast line
3. Mention important hills in the northern districts of Tamil Nadu?
- Javadi hills and Elagiri hills in Vellore district
- Shervarayan hills in Salem district
- Kalvarayan in Villupuram district
- Pachai malai in Thiruchippalli district
- Kolli hills in Nammakal district
- Chitteri hills in Darmapuri and salem district
- Gingee hills in Thiruvannamali district.
4. Write a short note on marina beach?
- Marina beach is the second largest beach in the world.
- It extends up to a distance of 13 km.
- It is one of the major tourist attractions of Chennai.
5. Distinguish between Eastern ghats and Western ghats.
|Eastern ghats||Western ghats|
|Eastern ghats are not continuous Its average height is from 1100m to 1600m They extend from the north east to south west through the districts of Vellore, Darmapuri and erode. The highest hills of Eastern ghats is Shervarayan hills 1500m to 1600m.||Western ghats is a continuous one Its average height is from 1000m to 1500m The western ghats enters the state through the Nilgris district and runs up to kanyakumari District. The highest hills of western ghats is anaimalai hills 2700m Eastern ghats western ghats|