I. CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER:
1. Cotton textile industry is agro based
2. Manchester of India is Mumbai
3. Tata Iron and Steel industry is located at Jamshedpur
4. Chota Nagpur Plateau is noted for Mineral resource
5. The city known as Electronic Capital is Bangalore
II. MATCH THE FOLLOWING
|1. Jute industry||West Bengal|
|2. Cotton industry||Mumbai|
|3. Software Industry||Bangalore|
|4. Tata Iron and Steel Industry||Jamshedpur|
|5. Sugar bowl of India||Uttar Pradesh and Bihar|
IV. Short answers:
1. Define manufacturing.
Manufacturing is defined as the process of converting raw materials into finished products.
Eg. iron ore into iron then into machinery
2. Name the factors that determine location of an industry.
The location of an industry is determined by raw material, power, transport, man power, water, market and government policies.
3. What are agro based industries? Give examples.
Agro based industries:-
These industries use agricultural products as their basic raw material. For example, Cotton textile industry, jute industry, sugar industry etc.
4. Name any five software centers.
Main centers are Chennai, Coimbatore, Thiruvananthapuram, Bangalore, Mysore, Hyderabad, Vishakhapatnam, Mumbai, Pune, Bhubaneswar, Indore, Gandhinagar, Jaipur, Kolkata, Noida, Mohali and Srinagar.
5. What are the byproducts of the Jute industry?
Jute products include gunny bags, canvas, pack sheets, jute webs, Hessians, carpets, cordage.
1. Write an account of Iron and Steel industries of India.
Account of iron and steel industries of India
- Tata Iron and Steel Company (TISCO) was set up at Jamshedpur in 1907 now it is called Tata Steel limited. It is oldest and largest integrated iron and steel plant in India. The company produces pig iron and steel.
- Indian Iron and Steel Company (IISCO) was set up at Burnpur in 1919. Company produces pig iron and crude steel control was taken over by SAIL.
- Visveshwaraya Iron and Steel limited (VISL) set up in 1923 at Bhadravati in Karnataka. It’s major products are alloy and special steel.
- The Vijayanagar steel plant has been set up Tornagai in Karnataka.
- The Salem Steel Plant located at Salem in Tamil Nadu in 1982.
- Major producers of the world class stainless steel.
- The Vishakhapatnam Steel Plant came into operation in 1992. And first plant in the shore region. It is a major export oriented steel plant.
2. Describe the factors encouraging cotton textile industry in Mumbai.
The following factors favour the cotton textile industries in Mumbai:
- Location of port facilities for the export of finished goods.
- Well connected through rail and road links with cotton growing areas.
- Humid coastal climate favours yarning.
- Availability of Capital goods and finance.
- Availability of man power.
3 Give an account of Software industry in India.
- An account of software industry in India
- It has emerged as a major industry.
- The main reason due to the availability of cheap and skilled young software professionals in our country.
- “Electronic Parks” is established different parts of our country.
- The main centers are Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune, Mohali and Srinagar.
- At present there are more than 500 Software firms in the country.
- Expected to generate a total employment of around six million.
- Today the software industry exports software to nearly 95 countries.
- The Government has also played a vital role in the development of software industry.
- It has contributed 9% of GDP for India national income