I. CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER:
1. European Union traces its origin from the ECSC
2. EURATOM was established by the Treaty of Rome
3. The council of the European Union is sometimes referred to as the Council of Ministers
4. The first permanent President of the European Council is Herman Van Rampay
5. The name of the Single European Currency Euro
6. Euro zones monetary policy is governed by European Central Bank
7. The EU has established a strong relationship with the UNO
II. MATCH THE FOLLOWING:
|1. Merger Treaty||1967|
|3. Robert Schuman||French foreign minister|
|4. Jean Monnet||French Politician|
|5. EU budget||Court of Auditors|
III. ANSWER THE FOLLOWING IN BRIEF:
1. Mention the initial member countries of the EU.
The initial member countries of the EU are Belgium, France, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands and West Germany.
2. What are the principal objectives of the EU?
The principal objectives of the EU
- To establish European citizenship,
- To promote social progress,
- To ensure civil rights,
- To promote security and ensure justice.
3. What are the organs of the EU?
The organs of the EU
- European Parliament
- Council of the European Union
- European Commission
- Court of Justice
- Court of Auditors
4. Write a brief note on the European Parliament.
Note on the European Parliament
- It is the legislative body of the European Union.
- Its members are elected directly by the citizens of the member countries.
- It currently consists of 736 members elected for five years term.
5. Mention the main functions of the Court of Justice.
The main functions of the Court of Justice
- It is located in Luxemburg. It has fifteen judges.
- It determines treaties implemented accordance with Union law.
- Its judgments and EU law as a whole are binding on all member states.
6. What is the significance of the EURO?
The significance of the EURO
- The Euro is the name of the single European currency that was put into circulation on January 1, 2002.
- The symbol of the Euro is €.
- Euro eliminated the foreign exchange hurdles and promotes free trade policy.
1. ORGANS OF THE EU
[a] Which is the Legislative body of the EU?
[b] What is the function of the European Commission?
[c] Where is the seat of the Court of Justice?
[d] Who is responsible for the foreign exchange operation?
2. ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE EU
[a] What is the symbol of the Euro?
The symbol of the Euro is €.
[b] What did the Euro Eliminated?
Euro eliminated the foreign exchange hurdles and promotes free trade policy.
[c] How many members are there in the EU at present?
[d] Who allocates funds to European research projects?
1. What are the achievements of the European Union?
Achievements of the EU:-
The EU has developed a single market through a standardized systems.
It ensures the free movement of people, goods, and services.
Common Foreign and security policy:-
EU enacts treaties in justice and home affairs with countries.
The representation of EU at the world Trade organization, G-8, G-20 is maintained.
European currency the Euro was put into circulation on January, 2002. The symbol of the Euro is €.
Euro eliminated foreign exchange hurdles promotes free trade policy.
Enlargement of EU:-
Enlargement of EU from the original six to the present day 27.
The independent European Research Council allocates funds to European or national research projects stimulate research.