I. CHOOSE THE BEST ANSWER:
1. Hippocrates was called father of medicine.
2. The Egyptian king was called as Pharaoh.
3. The Sumerian calendar based on seven days in a week.
4. Gun powder was invented by Chinese.
5. The Egyptian civilization grew along the Nile Rivers.
II. MATCH IT.
1. Pyramids – Egypt.
2. Great wall – China.
3. Hanging garden – Babylon.
4. All roads lead to – Rome.
5. Greece – Hilly region.
1. EGYPTIAN CIVILIZATION:
a. Who built the great Pyramid of Gaze?
b. What was the Egyptian King called?
c. How did the Egyptians preserve the dead bodies?
Honey and medicinal plants.
d. What is pyramid?
Tombs of pharaohs.
2. CHINESE CIVILIZATION:
a. What was known as the “sorrow of China”?
Hwang-ho (or) yellow river.
b. Name the great philosophers of China?
Confucius and Lao-tse.
c. Which was the popular drink in China?
d. Who built the Great wall of China?
IV. ANSWER BRIEFLY:
1. How was the Egyptian society divided?
The Egyptian society was composed of into Aristocracy, the middle class and the slaves.
2. Write a note on hanging garden?
- The Chaldean empire reached the zenith of its prosperity during the reign by Nebuchad mezzo.
- He built the famous “Hanging garden” which is considered as one of the wonders of ancient India.
3. Name the two epics of the Greek?
The lilac and odyssey are the great epics written by a blind poet Homer.
Herodutus, Thucydides and Plutarch are famous biographers of ancient Greece.
4. Mention two important contributions of the Chinese to the World?
The hot beverage “TEA” is a gift to modern world.
The great wall of China measured 2880km in length, it is considered as one of the contributions of the Chinese built by emperor Chin-she-huang-Ti.
V. ANSWER IN PARAGRAPH:
1. What were the gifts of China to the modern world?
- The Chinese developed a pictographic script and later brought out many changes in it.
- Their writing was done on bones or tortoise shells with the help of some sharp instrument.
- In 2nd century A. D they invented paper.
- Silk pieces were also used for writing.
- Ink was invented in 5th century A. D.
- The Chinese pencils were made of bamboo.
- Some of the valuable scientific discoveries own their origin to ancient china.
- Theories of lunar and solar eclipse were also developed.
- They made some scientific inventions like the water mill, the mariner’s compass, gun powder and paper currency.
- An anatomical study of human bodies was popular.
- In mathematics they introduced the abacus method.
2. Write a note on the contribution of Romans to civilization?
- In the field of science, the Romans, improved the Medical science, pliny, the elder wrote a natural history which contains scientific facts.
- Ptolemy, a great astronomer and geographer lived in the Roman empire.
- Galen was the greatest Physician of his time.
- He studied the respiratory system and related diseases and wrote number of medical treatises.
- The world is indebted to the Roman’s for their share in the march of human civilization.
- The Romans acted as agents to spread and preserve much of what the ancient Greeks had left behind as their legacy.
- The Latin language, the concept of Pax Romagna the military system, works of engineering and codified law are precious contributions of the Romans to the world civilizations.