I. Choose the correct answer
1. Poligar system was introduced by ____________
a) Viswanath Nayak b) Rani mangammal c) Ragunatha Nayak
Ans : a) Viswanath Nayak
2. Tower of Arunachaleswara temple was completed by ____________
a) Thirumalai Nayak b) Achutappa Nayak c) Vijaya Ragava
Ans : b) Achutappa Nayak
3. War of the Nosas took place during the reign of __________
a) Krishnappa Nayak b) Rani Meenakshi c) Thirumalai Nayak
Ans : c) Thirumalai Nayak
4. Umarupulawar wrote _____________
a) Kandar kalivenbah b) Irruuamaya Vizhakam
Ans : c) Serrapuranam
II. Fill in the blanks:
1. Viswanath Nayak introduced ______________.
Ans : kaval Pitchai
2. ____________ acted as the regent of Vijayaranga Chokkanadhar.
Ans : Mangammal
3. Rani Meenakshi was imprisonal by ____________ at the palace at Trichy.
Ans : Chanda Sahib
4. __________ helped Vijayanakar ruler in the battle of Talikotta.
Ans : Achutappa Nayak
5. ____________ was taken as the date of Nayakship of Madurai.
Ans : 1529
6. Thirumalai Nayak shifted his capital from Trichy to __________
Ans : Madurai
7. ____________ conspired against Meenakshi to occupy the throne
Ans : Bangaru
8. Thimmappa Nayak was succeeded by his son_________.
Ans : Seveppa Nayak
9. Sevappa Nayak game 10 veli of land to the ____________temple.
Ans : Mulavur
III. Match the following
|1. Thirumalai Nayak||a) Meygnana Vilakkam|
|2. Paranjothiar||b) Seerapuranam|
|3. Thiruvenkatam||c) Chidambara puranam|
|4. Umarupulavar||d) Chidambarapattial|
Ans : 1 – C, 2 – D, 3 – A, 4 – B
|1. Unni Keralavarmam||a) Madurai|
|2. Chokkanatha Nayak||b) The ruler of Vijayanagar|
|3. Sri Ranga III||c) Sevappaneri|
|4. Sadat Ullah Khan||d) Travancore|
|5. Shivaganga Lake||e) the ruler of Arcot|
Ans : 1 – D, 2 – A, 3 – B, 4 – E, 5 – C
V. Answer the following questions briefly:
1. Write a short note on Rani Mangammal.
i) Rani Mangammal was the wife of Chokkanadhar.
ii) She became a regent of the 3 years old child Vijayaranga Chokkanadhar.
iii) Diplomatically, she saved the kingdom.
iv) She encouraged Christian missionaries.
2. Write a few on the conflict between clueen meenakshi and chanda Sahib.
i) Meenakshi adopted Vijaya kumara and started her rule as a regent.
ii) Bangaru was the father of Vijayakumara. He conspired against Meenakshi to occupy the throne.
iii) She promised to offer him a crore of rupees.
iv) Then he imprisoned Meenakshi in her own palace at Trichy.
3. How was “Ranipet” created?
i) Raja Desingh was the ruler of Senji.
ii) Sadat Ullah Khan, the ruler of Arcot invaded Senji.
iii) raja Desingh’s wife committed sati.
VI. Answer in detail
1. Give an account of Tirumalai Nayak’s rule.
i) Thirumalai Nayak defeated the forces of Mysore at Dindugul.
ii) Thirumalai Nayak was mainly responsible for the Muslim attack in Tamil County.
iii) Sri Ranga III, the ruler of Vijayanagar marched against Madurai, Thirumalai Nayak made an alliance with Nayaks of Senji and Tanjore.
iv) The Muslim captured Vellore and threatened Madurai.
v) Thirumalai Nayak attacked Mysore army and practiced the same method of cutting the noses of the enemies.
vi) This strange event was termed as “war of noses”.
Other works of Thirumalai Nayak
i) Thirumalai Nayak established an efficient system of administration.
ii) He maintained peace and security
iii) He game a free hand to the Portuguese and the Dutch.
iv) He shifted his capital from Trichy to Madurai.
v) He repaired many temples.
vi) He patronized the renowned Sanskrit school neelakanda Dikshidar.
2. Explain the contributions of the Nayaks in the field of art, architecture and literature.
Art and Arcitecture
i) The Nayak were great patrons of art and architecture
ii) The krishnapuram temple and Nellaiappar temple at Thirunelveli, kasi Viswanatha temple at Tenkasi, Ramanathapuram temple at Rameshwaram and the Bing Gopura of Srivilliputhur received the patronage of the Nayak of Madurai.
iii) He also provided golden roof to the mandapa of the Meenakshi temple.
iv) Thirumalai Nayak built with, the help of halian architech.
v) Big Mandapam at Thiruvannamalai Virudachalam etc., were built by him.
vi) He completed the tower of Arunachaleswarar at Thiruvannamalai
i) The Nayak made great contribution for the growth of literature.
ii) Thirumalai Nayak’s Chidhambarapuranam, Paranjothiar’s Chiadambarapattial, Haridasa’s Irusamaya vilakkam were the literary works of the Nayaks period.