I. Choose the correct answer:
1. —————- established the Kushan dynasty.
2. The book Buddha Charita was Written by ———
3. —— was the physian of the Gupta period
4. ————- was the king of Thaneswar
5. The period of Gupta was called the ———– of India.
II. State whether True or False:
1. Peshawar was the capital of Kanishka. (True)
2. Si – yu – ki was written by Hieun Tsang. (True)
3. Ajilasim was the greek architect. (True)
4. Mehruli pillar belongs to the age of the Guptas. (True)
5. Ashvaghosa wrote Sutralankar. (True)
III. Match the following:
1. Fourth Buddhist council – Kashmir
2. Samudra Gupta – AD 335 to 375
3. Kaniskha’s period – AD 78 to 101
4. Bana – Harshacharita
5. Harsha – Priyadharshika
6. kushan – yuech-chi- tribe
7. Ashoka II – Kanishka
8. Nalanda University – Kumara gupta
9. Kadphises I – established Kushana Empire
IV. Answer the following:
1. Explain the back round of the Gandhara Art?
· The Gandhara art which combined the Indo- Greek style made new statue of Buddha and Bodhisatvas.
2. Why Gupta’s period is known as the Golden age of India?
The Gupta period is regarded as the golden age of Sanskrit literature. Kalidasa, Pasar and Visagathatha were the great scholars of the Gupta period.
The famous astrologer and Mathematician Aryabhatta,Varagamihira the famous physicians
Saragar, Susurudar and Dhanvatari belong to the Gupta period.
The Ajanta cave paintings and sculptures belong to the Gupta period.
The epics like Ramayana Mahabharatha, 18 Puranas and Panchathanthiras were compiled the
Gupta period. Hence Gupta’s period was considered the Golden age.
3. Mention the foreign invaders who were responsible for the decline of the Gupta.
The invasions of Pushyamithra and Huns were responsible for the decline of the Guptas.
4. Explain – Saka period and Gupta period.
Saka Period: The year that Kanishka Ascended the throne was the beginning of Saka period.
Gupta empire with Palatiputra its as capital.
Chandra Gupta I was the first important King of Gupta dynasty.The year of his carnations as considered as the beginning of the Gupta Period. Hence this period was considered the Golden age.
4. Discuss about Fahien and Hieun Tsang.
Fahien: The Chinese traveler Fahien visited the Buddhist pilgrims centre’s during the period of
Chandra Gupta II
ü Hien Tsang visited India during the reign of Harsha.
ü He visited Kanauj, Prayag, Nalanda and Kanchipuram.
ü He stayed in Harsha’s court for some time.