I. Choose the correct answer:
1. The area that was considered as the most ancient one in the world
The area in the south of vindhiya
2. The land mass on the south Kanyakumari during pre-historic period
Continent of Kumari
3. The place where evolution of man began
4. Which year is considered as the birth year of Thiruvalluvar
5. The city where the Second Sangam was held
II. Fill in the blanks:
1. ———– was the organization where the Tamil poets assembled and did the literary research in Tamil
2. The ———- were the ancestors of the people of Cape Comorin.
3. The historical period of the Tamil Began from —————- age.
4. The grammar book ————- originated before Third Sangam.
5. ———- was the most important occupation of the Sangam age.
III. Match the following:
1. Tolkappium – book before Tamil Sangam
2. Mullai – Forest area
3. Pandiyar Neduncheziyan – Yano Arrasan; Yanae Kalvan
4. Heroic death – Hero stone
5. Kurinchi – Mountain area
6. Neithel – Coastal area
IV. Answer the following:
1. Why is Tamil Known as classical language?
Scholars call Tamil a classical language, because it had developed without the help of other language.
2. Name the Tamil words which are used to denote the mode of travel at sea.
· Theppam and Katamaram
· Which are the words used to denote mode of the travel at sea.
3. Why is Madurai known as Kudal?
· The last Sangam was held in Madurai Muthoor.
· It was known as Kudal as the Pandiya kings patronized the poets and held research on Tamil
4. What are the countries with whom the Tamilians had trade?
They had Trade contact with
· China and
· Other Eastern countries.
· They followed barter system.
5. Mention the physical divisions of the land during the Sangam age.
· Kurinchi – Mountain area
· Mullai – Forest area
· Marutham – Cultivatable area/ agriculture
· Neidel – Coastal area
· Palai – Drought area
6. Name the famous pandya kings.
The pandya king Mudathirumaran and Thalaiyalanganathu Cheruvendra Neduncheziyan.
7. Name important Chera kings
The famous, Chera kings Imayavarmban Neduncheralathan and Sillambu Pugazh Cheran Senguttuvan.
8. Write notes on Karikal Peruvalathan.
· Karikalan who ruled over two thousand years ago conqured Ealam.
· He made the capatives build the bankriver Cauvery.
· Kallainai which exists even today was built by him.
· This famous king was called Karikal Peruvalathan.
9. Name the Kadaiyelu Vallalgal.
· The seven chieftains were called as Kadaiyelu Vallalkal.
· The famous among them were:
· Pegan and Aay.
10. Mention the social satatus of women during the Sangam age.
· Women had the privilege of choosing their life partners.
· Parents agreed to that.
· Women were not treated as per the Vedas.
V. Answer in Detail:
1. Write the characteristic features of the ancient Tamil.
· Tolkappium which was a pride to Tamil Literature.
· Tamil literature would have developed a few thousand years ago.
· Tamil which is adoptive to grammatical norms and is called Senthamizh.
· Scholars call Tamil is classical language
· Because it had developed without the help of other languages.
2. Describe the First, Second and Third Sangam.
· The capital of Pandyas was Thenmadurai.
· Tamizhvalartha thalaisangam assembled there.
· Thenmadurai was taken away by the sea.
· In Kapadapuram the poets gathered and had the Second Sangam.
· The last sangam was held.
· That city also became a prey to tsunami.
· The last Sangam was held in Madurai Muthoor
· These sangams would have been for a long time.
3. Write about the sea trade of the Sangam Age.
· The language Tamil is abundant with words like Navai, Kalam, Kappal,Thoni,
Odam, Padagu, Theppam and Katamaram which are used to denote the mode of travel at sea.
· There were many ports like Puhar, (kaveri poompattinam) Korkai, Musiri, Thondi and vanchi.
· They had trade contacts with Egypts, Yavanam, Rome, China and other eastern countries. They followed the barter system.